Do you often fear sending your child alone on air Travel? Not anymore! If you wish to send your unaccompanied minors southwest, take them aboard without many conditions. In order to send your unaccompanied children on Southwest Flights, you can simply find out the airline’s policy and go forward with the same.
Southwest is an ultra-low-cost airline providing excellent services to all its customers. The airline will never discriminate in any way with its tiny passengers in terms of service. And its unaccompanied minor travel policy guarantees that. Let’s find out more about this service in detail!
Southwest Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
Southwest treats children between the ages of 5 to 11 who travel without an accompanying young travel age 12 or an older adult as an unaccompanied minor. Children of age 12 through 17 do not travel as UNMRs and must travel as “Young travelers” on the airline as per the Southwest airlines unaccompanied minor travel. Let’s find out about the Southwest Unaccompanied minor travel rules in detail!
What is the Southwest unaccompanied minor travel policy?’
Before you book air travel for your kids to travel alone, you need to know the Southwest unaccompanied minor policy in detail. If you thoroughly comply with the rules, you can easily send your child onboard with the airline.
Here are the major travel rules which you need to know about,
- Southwest does not offer any unaccompanied minor service both to or from an international destination.
- The airline has the right to deny the travel of UNMRs on any diverted flights, or flights that get canceled because of any weather-related or operation-related specifications.
- You must represent your authority while booking a minor ticket stating that either you are a parent or legal acting guardian for your child currently. Also, mention if you are acting on behalf of a parent or guardian regarding the same.
- Make sure to reach the airport earlier and have enough time to go through all the formalities.
- The airline does not allow pets to travel with an unaccompanied minor.
- A flight attendant/steward checks on your child with time as per his duty, but there isn’t constant monitoring throughout the flights.
- The unaccompanied minor flights Southwest require you to provide the following information while booking:
- Full name of the child
- Your relationship with him.
- Address of your house
- Telephone with area code
- Date of birth
- Details about the parent and guardian dropping your child
- Child’s pickup giardam
- Contact information for an alternate designee on the travel destination.
- If you fail to meet any of the requirements, Southwest is obliged to take necessary actions.
Things to do while sending unaccompanied minor through Southwest flight
Here are the steps you need to follow in order to send unaccompanied minors on Southwest Airlines flights
- Make enough copies of your child’s flight itinerary for parent/guardians at the departure and destination.
- When the flight is going to be during meal times, you should remember to send food or snacks with your kid. So, in case he feels hungry, he gets to eat that. Because the airline does not have meal service, they do serve pretzels though.
- Charge the device your child has before leaving the airport as there are no onboard outlets.
- Provide the kid with the contact information of the guardian/parent coming to pick your kids up.
- Make sure you have cleared the Southwest Unaccompanied minors fees before the flight begins.
Dropping off Instructions by Southwest
- Always arrive at the airport before the suggested arrival times to have enough time at hand to go through other things.
- Make a stop at the ticket counter of Southwest Airlines to get your escort pass and your child’s unaccompanied minor lanyard. This is necessary to take your child to the airport TSA security check.
- Make sure you have these documents at hand:
- Copy of your kid’s flight itinerary
- A Valid ID proof issued by the government.
- Be at the gate at least 45 minutes prior to the departure of the flight.
- Check-in with a gate employee to hand over the responsibility of your unaccompanied minor Southwest.
- Stay near the gate until the flight is in the air.
- Call the picking-up guardian/parent to inform the departure of the flight.
- Reach the airport early to pick up.
- Do not forget to take an escort poss to go through the security checkpoint. The parent’/guardian must have valid ID proof to meet the child at the gate.
- Be at the gate at least 45 minutes prior to the departure of the flight.
In conclusion, you can find out the various other rules and sets to confirm your child’s flight with the airline. So, if you ever get stuck, call our given contact numbers for help.
How do I Book a Southwest Unaccompanied Minor Reservation?
There are three ways to book Southwest Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service. Book independent travel for 5-11-year-old kids online, via phone, or at the airport. Choose whichever method is convenient.
Online At Southwest.com Official Site
- Firstly, visit the official website and open its homepage.
- Further, enter details (destination, dates, time) and press enter.
- Choose the one that suits you best from a comprehensive list of flights.
- Enter the child’s passenger details who are traveling independently.
- During check-out, you will be asked if the kid is flying with someone over 12.
- If not, they are eligible for the unaccompanied minor southwest facility.
Next, you will be redirected to a necessary travel document for unaccompanied minors. Kindly fill out the form and pay a separate service fee to book the policy under this facility.
At Southwest Airport Ticket Counter
You can also book unaccompanied minor flights Southwest Airlines at the airport. Take all the travel documents of minors and govt approved ID of guardians.
- Picture ID of both guardians at take-off and arrival must be there when booking the service.
- While booking a ticket at the airport, guardians can request the service while providing passenger details.
- Also, they must pay the southwest unaccompanied minor fee and confirm the reservation.
Once the booking is complete, kindly provide the confirmation number to both guardians at the pickup and drop-off point.
Via Southwest Customer Service
- Initially, dial the southwest unaccompanied minor phone number 1-800-435-9792.
- Once your call is connected, the IVR response will give you several guidelines.
- Follow the instructions until you talk to someone at Southwest Airlines.
- Inform them of flight details such as departure & arrival airports, destinations, and dates.
- They will find you a suitable flight and ask for passenger details.
- If your child is between 5-11 years old, they are allowed to travel independently.
- Hence, they will confirm the kid’s booking.
- Next, you must fill out the southwest airlines unaccompanied minor form with other travel documents.
Further, pay the respective fee and receive an e-ticket with eligibility to travel alone. Alternatively, dial 1-860-374-7617 to immediately book the minor’s independent travel service and skip the waiting time.
Southwest Airlines ID Requirements For Minors
Unaccompanied minors on Southwest are kept under the watchful eyes of the airline’s staff. Also, there is a deep verification to ensure the child’s safety. Hence, you would need these documents for Unaccompanied Minor paperwork:
- Evidence of unaccompanied minor’s itinerary (the ticket).
- Birth Certificate or other govt approved age proof of the child.
- Govt issued the guardian’s ID at the drop-off and pickup of the child.
- Name, address, phone number with area code, relationship, and alternate contact details of both parties.
These ID requirements ensure that the child travels safely from one city to another.
How Much Does Southwest Airlines Charge For Unaccompanied Minors?
Southwest Airlines unaccompanied minor cost is $50 per head for one trip. It applies to the minor’s travel fare. It implies that:
- For round trips, the guardian has to pay $100.
- Families must pay per head when they send more than one kid.
You can pay the Unaccompanied Minor’s fee after confirming the reservation with an executive over call.
Frequently Asked Questions
Read More Related Airlines Blog:
- How do I Talk to a Person at Southwest?
- Southwest missed flight
- Where does Southwest Airlines go for $49 one-way?
- unaccompanied minors southwest
- Is it cheaper to Southwest book flights as a group?
- Southwest Airlines sale $69
- Red eye flights southwest
- Southwest Airlines Multi-City Flight Booking
- Southwest airlines senior discount