How to Cancel a Flight with American Airlines
Think of a situation where you are strolling on the California beaches, relishing the warmness of the sun, utilizing sunscreen in your tan skin, you don’t want that this time ends ever, but then you remember that you have a flight back home on the next day. So, you want to cancel your booked ticket but you can’t because you know that it will cost you so much. Stay worry-free about the ticket cancellation American Airlines, as American Airlines Cancellation Policy is designed as per the customer’s convenience.
The airline has created an expansive cancellation policy, allowing passengers to cancel their tickets even at the last moment. Check out the complete cancellation policy mentioned below, including everything about the refund on
What is The American Airlines Cancellation Policy?
According to the cancellation policy of AA, get a full refund for canceling a flight within 24 hours of booking when departure is atleast 2 days away. After that, only refundable tickets get 100% money back when canceled before the scheduled departure. If you’d like to request a flight cancellation, you may be pleased to know the American Airlines cancellation policy is designed to provide flexibility to flyers. But it may be quite daunting to go through all terms & conditions to learn about AA policies just for flight cancellation. Let’s take a closer look at the key pointers of the American Airlines flight cancellation policy-
Terms & Conditions:
- Non-refundable tickets don’t get a refund beyond AA’s 24-hour risk-free cancellation policy.
- However, you will receive a credit voucher valid for one year of the date of issue.
- Apply this for any flight purchases in the future with American airlines.
- AA cancellation rules are valid only on direct purchases with the website.
- Also, basic economy tickets don’t get any refund after the 24-hour policy.
- Currently, flyers can modify their AA ticket only once.
For third-party ticket purchases, kindly get in touch with the travel agent for cancellation and refund of your AA ticket.
24 Hours American Airlines Cancellation Policy
Every AA ticket purchased at least two days before the flight departure can be canceled to get a full refund. However, you need to cancel the booking within 24 hours of the ticket purchase. The 24 hours American Airlines cancellation policy is applicable to every ticket type, but passengers must cancel their tickets to get a refund.
However, if your ticket is part of a group itinerary, then your ticket doesn’t qualify under this rule.
Moreover, you will get a full refund on the booking after the deduction of Sale-imposed non-refundable taxes and Service charges for booking through Reservations.
American Flight Cancellation Policy Due to COVID 19
American Airlines cancellation policy COVID rules provide relief and avoid panic for those flyers who postponed/canceled their ticket when they fall ill.
Read all the terms & conditions of covid cancelation policy for AA here:
- AA has waived the cancellation and change fees for all the new and existing bookings made during the COVID outbreak.
- Passengers can change the destination of their American Airlines reservations for free. However, there might be restrictions due to the advisory issued for that destination.
- You can change the ticket details by using the American Airlines chat or calling the facility.
- American has rolled out cancelation fee waivers for better aircraft crowd management.
- However, the rebooking facility on American booking is available till a fixed date only, and you cannot change the flight to a later date than that.
- Lastly, the flyers will observe price differences in their reservations before and after the COVID period.
Do not hesitate to seek assistance from American Airlines customer service when you fall ill. Tell them in advance to seek rebooking for free.
American Airlines Cancellation Policy With Miles
Can I cancel an American Airlines flight booked with miles? Yes, indeed. However, you have to cancel the complete reservation before the first flight departs.
American Airlines has a flexible policy for AA tickets purchased or upgraded using miles. Contact the American Airlines customer service executives to cancel your award ticket on AA. Here are other things you need to know about miles award ticket cancellation:
- Upon canceling your booking on AA’s official website, the airlines will reinstate your miles and refund the amount paid on taxes (subject to eligibility).
- You will receive a refund and miles within one year from the ticket’s date.
- However, award ticket or upgrade holders must cancel the booking before the flight’s departure.
- Passengers don’t have to pay a fee to reinstate their miles; it is an automatic process.
- On miles tickets and upgrades, you still have to pay the non-refundable sales tax and the amount that the airline pays regardless of the travel status of the passenger.
- Co-payments related to mileage upgrades are not refundable. Also, the upgraded tickets with AAdvantage work as per the original fare restrictions.
Passengers must contact AA reservations to cancel bookings when the trip has already started, and other partners are involved, have international bookings, or have changed bookings.
Cancel American Airlines Booking Easily
To cancel your bookings, you need to visit the “My Trips” section available on the official website of American Airlines. Go with the steps given below to cancel your booking.
Cancel AA Flight on Official Site
- Go to the “My Trips” section available on the official website of American Airlines.
- Enter the passenger’s first name, last name, and booking reference in the required fields. Then click on the “Find reservation” button available.
After opening your itinerary, you need to click on the “Cancel Itinerary” button for American Airlines cancellation Policy.
In case of any query regarding flight cancellation, you must contact the Airlines directly by dialing the helpline number mentioned on the airline’s website. After canceling your booking, request a refund from the “Request a Refund” from the AA official website.
How to American Airlines Flight Via Phone Call?
For US and Canada flights, passengers must dial American Airlines phone number customer service at 800-433-7300 for cancellations and refunds for their tickets.
Follow this easy method to get in touch with AA travel experts via call:
- Firstly, dial the AA executive’s assistance number that we mentioned above.
- Next, wait for the IVR to connect you to a live human.
- In the meantime, collect your booking ID, personal ID, ticket details, award membership id (if applicable), and payment method information.
- Once you get in touch with the 24/7 live assistance, inform them whether you are using the 24-hour American cancellation policy or after the 24 hours are over, along with all the ticket details they ask for.
- They will check the eligibility of your cancelation and suggest alternatives, such as rescheduling the flight.
- Next, you will learn how much time your ticket will be canceled and refunded (along with the amount applicable).
- Ask them to continue with canceling your American Airlines ticket if you don’t wish to rebook the flight.
The executives will keep you on hold and cancel your booking with AA. You will receive a confirmation email and a link to track your refund request.
How do I Cancel a One-Person Flight on American Airlines?
Yes, American Airlines understand the passenger perspective that change is inevitable. Therefore, the airline allows you to cancel a flight ticket for one person out of a group reservation. To cancel a flight ticket, dial American Airlines customer service number 800-433-7300/ 800-633-3711 (toll-free).
American Airlines Cancellation Policy for Refundable Tickets
If you have purchased a non-refundable ticket from AA directly, then you can request to get a refund from the official website of American Airlines or contact the Reservations desk. The airline will process your refund within seven days, which will be credited to your credit card and appear on the 1-2 billing cycle statements.
In case you have paid for the American Airlines Tickets by cash or cheque, the airline will process the refund within 20 days from the complete refund request. Moreover, if you have purchased the ticket from a travel agent or a 3rd party travel agency, then contact the source of the flight ticket immediately. To request a refund, you must visit the “Request a Refund” page on the AA website.
American Airlines Policy for Non-refundable Cancelled Tickets
Generally, AA does not provide a refund on the cancellation of non-refundable tickets. However, there are certain situations when people with non-refundable tickets can also get a refund.
- If the ticket is canceled within 24 hours of the purchase. However, the ticket must be purchased at least two days before the departure.
- In case of the death of the passenger or the traveling companion, you can get a refund in the original form of payment.
- If the AA reschedules the flight for 61 minutes or more from the original scheduled departure.
- In the case of military orders or a change in duty, you can also get a refund in the original form of payment.
Moreover, you can also contact the American Airline customer service to know more about this.
American Airlines Flight Cancellation Fees
If you wish to cancel your American Airlines flight, the best way is to cancel the booking within 24 hours of the booking time and receive the money back. However, situations are sometimes not under our control, and we can not pre-decide when we need to cancel the flight. Therefore, passengers must pay a fee to use the American Airlines cancel flight service. This fee will depend on the fare type and time of cancellation and may vary from time to time.
Beyond the 24 hours window, your ticket cancellation fee will be as follows:
- Basic Economy passengers can not cancel or change their domestic or international flights for any fee.
- If you wish to cancel an Economy or Premium Economy Class ticket, you need to pay a 200 USD fee for both domestic and international flights.
- Note that in case the airline has marked you as a No-show for economy flights, you do not need to worry about the airfare.
- American Airlines Cancellation Policy will helps you to credit exchanging your flights.
- Further American Airlines Business class, First class, and reward tickets do not include any cancellation amount for both domestic and international flights.
Moreover, you can even avoid the cancellation fee if you cancel the flight as per their 24 hours cancellation policy. For more information, you can give a call on the AA contact number and speak to an airline agent for help.
How Do I Ask American Airlines for Compensation?
The airline allows its passengers to request compensation through the American Airlines website. Here are the steps to request compensation-
- Visit the American Airlines website.
- Click on the ‘Contact American’ tab.
- Scroll down to the ‘Share with us’ section.
- Click on the ‘Email Us’ tab.
- It’ll take you to the next page.
- Select the ‘Compliments and Complaints’ on the topic.
- Select the Complaint subject.
- Afterward, select the reason (Delayed/cancelled flight).
How Much Is The American Airlines Delayed Flight Compensation?
The compensation amount for delays and cancellations by American Airlines would depend upon the region where the flight is set to depart/ arrive. Also, you might get additional vouchers for hotel stays and food meals.
Passengers are provided compensation when their American Airlines flight is delayed by 2 hours. Otherwise, you are qualified for compensation when you are denied boarding or the flight is canceled.
American Airlines delays compensation amount when the air carrier is responsible:
Flights delayed to/ from Canada.
|3+ hours delay||$ 400 CAD|
|6+ hours delay||$ 700 CAD|
|9+ hours delay||$ 1,000 CAD|
In case of flight delays of 2+ hours when the airline is responsible, you also get free snacks/ drinks and access to communication devices.
Flights delayed to/ from European Union Nations
|3+ hours||1500 km||€ 250|
|4-5 hours||1500- 3000 km ||€ 400|
|5+ hours||3500+ km||€ 600|
Flights delayed/canceled/ diverted to/ from USA And Others
- When the delay extends 2+ hours, American Airline will provide snacks, water, restroom, and medical assistance.
- You will get an approved hotel voucher with available accommodation for overnight delays and cancellations.
- Shuttle/ third-party transportation service between hotel and airport.
- Meal vouchers when delay extended 3 hours from scheduled departure time.
Does American Airlines Allow Free Flight Changes?
If you wish to modify your flight itinerary, you can do so within 24 hours of booking without incurring extra charges, regardless of the fare picked. In addition, American Airlines allow flyers to modify flight itineraries free of cost for all domestic flights and international flights.
|Fare Type ||Applicable change charges |
|Basic Economy ||Not allowed to modify flight change |
|Domestic and international flight tickets||Free of cost modification |
|Fully Flexible ||Make changes several times no charges |
|Business or First class ||Make changes several times no charges |
|Award tickets ||Not allowed to modify flight change |
Please note to change immediately on a same-day flight with the same origin/destination or number of stops, and You have to pay the applicable charges.
American Airlines Refund Policy
The flight cancellation and refund policy of American Airlines has terms & conditions that you must know:
- Travelers must cancel a flight within 24 hours of booking to receive a full refund. Regardless of travel class, flyers will receive payment in their original form.
- However, there must be 7 days left for the flight’s departure before booking the ticket. If 2 days are left for departure, you will receive credits for future travel.
- Even in a full refund, the non-refundable tax and service charge for using reservations will be deducted.
- The refund policy of American Airlines is applicable only for purchases made directly with the AA website, mobile app, or official reservations service. For third-party purchases, flyers need to contact the agency directly.
- Also, the airlines won’t provide a refund against expired or used tickets.
- Non-refundable tickets get refunded only in cases of exceptional circumstances. For example, some exceptions include flight cancellation/ delay from the airline, death/ illness of someone in the booking, and military/ govt orders.
As per the American Airlines refund rules, the refund amount will reflect in the bank statement within 7 working days for credit card purchases. For debit card/ cash transactions, the refund will show in your account within 20 working days.
How to Submit Refund Request to American Airlines?
American Airlines refund policy allows automatic credits/ miles/ payment transfer, if eligible. Or, dial American Airlines customer service for refunds.
Cancellation Of AA Flights Booked With Cash/ Cheque/ Debit Card/ Credit Cards
- Firstly, ensure that your booking with American is canceled before you try to seek a refund for that reservation.
- Further, locate the aa.com/refunds webpage and go till its end.
- Next, gather details such as the last name and the ticket number of the reservation. When you enter the details, the refund department will check and let you know your options and eligibility criteria for an AA refund.
- Further, proceed towards the contact refunds option in the customer service link.
- Also, you can fax your details to 800-892-3447 when you have voiced your refund request here.
This method is successful only after patiently waiting for the automatic refund transfer but haven’t yet received any after the stipulated time.
Cancelling award tickets booked via AAdvantage miles
Miles of award tickets are usually reinstated within a few hours of canceling your American flight. However, the flyer must have canceled it before the flight’s departure.
- Your miles will be reinstated automatically after the flight’s cancellation.
- Money spent on taxes/ fees will get back to you soon after canceling the flight.
Use the dedicated AAdvantage customer service phone number 800-882-8880 when your refunded miles don’t reflect in your AAdvantage balance.
How to Request a Refund after Cancelling the American Airlines Tickets?
Visit the “Request a Refund” on the AA official website and provide the required details to open your booking. Enter the Ticket Number and Passenger Last Name in the required fields, and click on the “Submit” button.
Further, make the necessary steps to finish the refund request, if required.
Use a Non-Refundable Ticket for Future Travel
Passengers are allowed to apply for unused value for the tickets for future travel as per the fare rule, if:
- The ticket is canceled before the scheduled flight departure.
- Your new trip begins no later than the original ticket purchase.
American Airlines Refund Policy for Purchased Products and Services
If the purchased products and services were provided on an alternate flight, then you cannot get a refund. Moreover, if you were unable to use the services and products, then you are eligible to get a refund on:
- Bag fees
- Pet fees
- Priority boarding
- Same-day flight change or standby
Process to Rebook a Cancelled Flight on American Airlines
As per American Airlines’ rebooking policy, you will need the ticket number and the 6-digit record locator/ which is available in the booking confirmation email.
Follow these steps to rebook your canceled trip on the official American Airlines website. Make sure you have the details that were mentioned earlier:
- Firstly, visit the official domain of AA and click Check-In/ Manage Trips. Further, click view canceled trips and fill in the required information.
- After that, visit the Your Trip page to verify your Flight Credit data available after the American flight cancellation.
- Further, please find a new suitable flight on the main homepage and proceed towards its payment. During checkout, click the option of Add Flight Credit.
- Next, enter the ticket number of your canceled ticket, and it will apply to your credits from the trip.
- If the new fare exceeds your previous booking, you can pay the rest of the amount with a credit/ debit card.
- You have successfully rebooked your ticket!
Alternatively, AA passengers can dial the American airlines phone number reservations, and the travel experts will rebook the ticket on their behalf.
Frequently Asked Questions