Are you worried about your minor child’s safety when flying alone without you? Given that safety is an important issue, American Airlines unaccompanied minor policy provides many facilities that ensure that your child enjoys their independent flight with AA.
AA’s solo travel program for minors lets kids over 5 years of age travel independently on direct flights operated by American Airlines. The children can also fly on a connecting flight, but they must be over 8 years old for those bookings.
Let’s understand what facilities are offered in the minor’s travel program.
American Unaccompanied Minor Policy – Explained
American Airlines UMNR Policy lets independent minors of 5-14 yrs of age fly without an adult being with them for the journey. For Kids more than 14 years old age, the service isn’t mandatory. However, there are some restrictions to ensure the child’s safety.
This facility allows kids to board early for their flights and enjoy kids-specific loungers. An airport escort is specially appointed to keep them under watch and ensure their safe journey. Furthermore, the attendant drops them to the designated adult upon arrival.
American Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service Age Restrictions
American Airlines minors flying alone must follow certain travel restrictions to fly independently written in the policy. Avoid confusion later by booking reservations under these rules.
|Age Category||Route Restrictions|
|0 to 4 Yrs Of Age|
|5 to 7 Yrs Of Age|
|8 to 14 Yrs Of Age|
|15 to 17 Yrs Of Age|
- All connection flights are not open for independent minors travel. Only CLT, DFW, LAX, PHL, and other limited airports allow this facility.
- For international flights, country-specific advisory applies. Also, a letter of consent is needed for such travel.
How Much Does American Airlines Charge For Unaccompanied Minors?
The American Airlines unaccompanied minor fee is $150 each way. This fee is a one-way trip service charge; you must pay double for a round trip. Other things to note:
- Adult fare is also applicable apart from this fee.
- Also, the guardian must pay additional taxes excluded from the service fee.
- Besides, American Airlines offers guardians to send along a sibling on the same charge.
- On some flights, the facility of Complimentary Kids’ Kits by Quaker is also provided (subject to availability).
If guardians opt for unaccompanied minor aa service for their 15-17-year-olds, they would still need to pay the service fee. Otherwise, this facility is optional for kids above 14 years of age.
How To Book Unaccompanied Minor Flight American Airlines?
To book Unaccompanied minor service, parents must purchase the ticket via online/ offline methods. American Airlines recommends that parents adhere to flight limitation rules while making a reservation for their child. Here is how you can book this service:
- Firstly, read out the terms and conditions regarding flights for which your child is eligible (age & destination).
- Further, book your tickets by talking to an American Airlines representative at 800-433-7300.
- Next, the live experts will inform you if they confirm your booking as per age eligibility issues.
- Finally, you must pay the American airlines unaccompanied minor cost of $150 for a one-way trip. For round-trip, it will be $300.
To skip the waiting time and book tickets immediately, dial +1-860-374-7617, and the experts will confirm a booking and complete the paperwork.
Can Unaccompanied Minors Fly Internationally On American Airlines?
American Airlines unaccompanied minor international flight rules allow independent minor travelers to fly outside the USA. However, there are certain conditions:
- Firstly, the kid must have a letter of consent.
- Specific country-related documents are necessary.
- Change of aircraft on international routes is permitted for kids above 8 years only.
- All taxes will apply, apart from the UMNR fee.
For your child’s safety, kindly guide them to follow the instructions that the airline officials ask your kids to follow during the journey.
What Are The Documents Required For American Airlines Unaccompanied Minors Check-In?
For all American Airlines flights where kids travel solo, their parents must carry the following documents to access a gate pass.
- Parents must bring the unaccompanied minor’s travel form.
- Also, a birth certificate and passport are needed to prove the child’s age.
- Besides, govt-issued ID with a photo is necessary for parents at the departure and arrival of the minor’s flight.
- Also, submit the address proof of both guardians.
- Ask the kid to keep phone numbers and other guardians’ details with them.
- Any further detail is applied to locate both adults.
Kindly keep at least 3-4 copies of the documents mentioned above apart from the originals (if possible) to receive a gate pass at the check-in window.
American Airline Unaccompanied Minor Travel Guidelines For Parents
Unaccompanied Minors American Airlines has laid down some guidelines parents must follow before arrival, check-in, and the child’s drop-off. Kindly follow these instructions to make the child’s journey smooth and simple.
- Firstly, please attach your ID and contact details to the child’s carry-on bag. Ask them always to wear their lineart.
- Also, when the guardians/ parents arrive with their minor traveler, they must point out uniform members of the airlines from regular ones.
- Kindly fill out the American Airlines unaccompanied minor form and submit it to receive your gate pass. Also, you have to drop off the kid at the gate.
- Besides, arrive at least 2 hours before take-off since check-in is possible physically only. For international flights, arrive at least 3 hours before since the paperwork is lengthy.
- Adults must stay at the gate till 15 minutes before the flight takes off.
- Also, the adult assigned to pick up the kid must be there at least 2 hours before the flight’s arrival for the paperwork.
Lastly, the unaccompanied minor American airlines rules ask you to introduce the kid to the staff crew for easy identification. These rules are necessary for the child’s safety.
On Which Reservations Does American Airlines Allow Unaccompanied Minors?
American Airlines minor service is available only on limited types of reservations. Hence, before you book flights for your child, kindly check out the T&C regarding flights.
- American Airlines restricts parents’ booking overnight connecting flights for their children.
- The facility is not available on Oneworld/ codeshare/ partner flights.
- You can’t make an American Airlines Reservation for the last connection/ regular flight of the day unless it’s the only flight for that date.
- Ground and co-terminal connections include those flights where the minor has to switch from one local airport to another. One must not book such flights for the kids.
Therefore, parents must make American Eagle or regular airline bookings in mind these guidelines.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can minors fly alone on American Airlines?
Yes, surely. Kids over 5-14 years of age can travel alone by using the unaccompanied minor service at AA. This service isn’t mandatory for minors between 15 and 18. However, the guardians must pay the usual $150 service fee if they opt for it.
Does American airlines charge for unaccompanied minors?
American charges $150 for unaccompanied minors’ service. However, the guardians must also pay applicable tax, apart from the ticket’s fare. This fee is suitable for a part of the journey and will double upon round-trip. Hence, while booking the round trip, keep atleast $300 additionally in your account apart from the ticket’s fare.
How old does a child have to be to fly on American Airlines?
Unaccompanied minors between 5–8 years of age can fly alone on direct flights operated by American Airlines. For connecting flights, the minor must be older than 8 years old. Also, the fee for the service is applicable for each trip. For a round trip, the guardian has to pay double the amount.
What does a minor need to fly on American Airlines?
A minor needs a birth certificate as age verification proof. All kids below 18 must keep a birth certificate/ any other government ID that verifies their age while boarding their flight. Also, details of guardians picking up/dropping off the kid must be with the minor child.
Can my 14 year old son fly alone on American Airlines?
Yes, indeed. American Airlines allows kids older than 14 to travel as regular adults. However, their guardians can opt for the Unaccompanied minor’s travel service, but they also have to pay the service charge of $150 each way.
Can unaccompanied minors fly internationally on American airlines?
A consent letter is necessary for an Unaccompanied minor to travel alone on American Airlines. Also, the child can fly independently, depending upon country-specific guidelines. AA has separate policies for Brazil, Italy, Mexico, and Spain. Kindly check out the official website before planning travel.