Is your child a minor and needs to travel alone with Spirit Airlines? Do you need expert guidance on booking Spirit Airlines flights for your unaccompanied child? Well, many airlines have policies that allow children to travel alone if they meet the specified conditions. As per the Spirit Airlines Unaccompanied Minors Policy, minor children are permitted to travel unaccompanied on direct domestic flights.
However, the airline does not allow such passengers on international flights, connecting flights, or domestic flights, including a change of aircraft or a stopover. Further, when your children fly with Spirit Airlines alone, it ensures to take complete care of your child on board.
Now, if you are concerned about how your child will travel and what the conditions are for your child to travel alone, you can read on and find it out. If you allow your child to fly as unaccompanied minors spirit airlines will be entirely responsible for their safety and well-being.
Does Spirit Airlines allow Unaccompanied Minors?
Yes, as we already mentioned, Spirit Airlines allows unaccompanied minors to travel alone. The airline treats children under the age group 5-14 who are flying without an adult passenger over 15 years of age as unaccompanied minors. Many people still get concerned over the question, “Does spirit airlines allow unaccompanied minors?”
Let us explain this to you based on age groups.
Children under age group 0-4 years
Spirit Airlines never allows your child aged four years or below to travel alone with them. Therefore, even if you need them to fly, you must purchase Spirit airlines reservations only if they are accompanied by a passenger of at least age 15 years. The only reason is that such children are too young to be traveling alone on an aircraft.
Children under age group 5-14 years
If your child is under the age group 5-14, they can travel alone as long as they do not have any physical or mental condition. As per the unaccompanied minor policy for spirit airlines, they are allowed to fly without an accompanying passenger on the basic airline fare. Moreover, they will have a seat of their own and will also get snacks to keep them entertained on board.
Children over 15 years of age
If your child is over 15 years old, he doesn’t require anyone to accompany him and can travel alone freely. However, the airline asks you to provide a photo ID or birth certificate that verifies the age whenever needed. Besides, if you or any guardian requires that your children over 15 should get the unaccompanied minor service, you can request it in advance. And based on the Spirit Airlines Unaccompanied Minors Policy, they will make sure your child is taken good care of.
What are Spirit Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Travel Rules?
- When booking, please inform Spirit Airlines that the booking is for an unaccompanied minor.
- Please go to the ticket counter to check in at least 60 minutes before departure.
- When checking in, the sending parent/guardian must fill out an unaccompanied minor form at the airport and attach a photo ID before we can accept children for travel.
- The booking department will insert this form into the lanyard provided by Spirit Airlines. Unaccompanied minors must wear it during the entire flight.
- The employees at the airline’s boarding counter need this form to identify unaccompanied minors.
- The person sending the child to the airport should apply for a gate pass at the ticket counter, escort the child to the gate, and stay with the unaccompanied minor in the gate area until the flight takes off.
- The agent will give the gate pass for the boarding gate to non-traveling individuals who show a government-issued photo ID.
- After the plane takes off, as per the Spirit Airlines Unaccompanied Minors Policy, the person sending the children must stay at the boarding gate for 15 minutes.
- Further, your child can pre-board the flight, and the Flight attendant will identify him as an unaccompanied minor.
- Therefore, if your child arrives too late at the airport, he has to board at last for an introduction with the attendant.
- The pickup guardian coming to pick your child has to arrive at the airport before the flights arrive.
- This is because he may need a gate pass from the airport ticket counter to wait for your child’s arrival.
- The flight attendant will escort your child to the aircraft and only release it to the guardian or parent as specified on the form.
How Much does Spirit Airlines Charge for Unaccompanied Minors?
The air carrier charges a spirit airlines UMNR fee of $150 each way for providing special care and security to Unaccompanied Minors Travelling on Spirit Airlines. Here is what applies to the fee:
- The $150 fee for unaccompanied minors is valid per child.
- This fee is for one trip only. If there is a round trip, the price will be $300.
- Also, the amount includes snacks and beverages.
- However, this fee does not have complete meals.
Passengers must pay this fee in advance. Also, if you cancel the flight upto 1 hour before the flight’s departure, this fee won’t get refunded. Also, the guardians of minor passengers must adhere to the guidelines to ensure a safe and interrupted journey.
How Do I Book The Spirit Airlines for Unaccompanied Minors?
Guardians can book the unaccompanied minors service for their kid’s next flight through both online and offline methods. Kindly check out which one suits you the best:
Book Spirit Flights for Unaccompanied Minor Online:
One can easily use Spirit Airlines’ Unaccompanied Minors policy online through the official website. Follow these steps:
- Firstly, visit the website Spirit.com and open the booking portal.
- After that, enter departure/ arrival and other details to choose your flight.
- Next, enter how many travelers are going on the journey(1 child).
- Further, click the search flights button.
- Afterward, you will be asked to put the minor’s DOB. Click continue to proceed.
- Another pop-up will show up telling if your kid is eligible for Spirit Airlines Unaccompanied Minors service or not.
- Next, you would pay the service fee for carrying minors independently.
- Kindly press ACCEPT to proceed further.
Lastly, confirm the child’s flight, bundle package (if applicable), minor’s ID details, additional baggage, seat selection, and payment details. Once you arrive at the airport, kindly bring the e-ticket and fill Spirit Unaccompanied Minor form during check-in.
Book Flight for Unaccompanied Minors Via Spirit Airlines Customer Service:
Dial 24/7 spirit airlines phone number 855-728-3555 to pay spirit airlines unaccompanied minor fees and book service from a live person. Get convenient flights.
- Firstly, dial the number mentioned above to get IVR guidelines.
- Next, listen to the instructions and press the number that will lead you to booking tickets.
- Further, press the number suggested by the automated response for minor policy bookings.
- Soon, your call will connect to a live executive at Spirit Airlines.
- Provide them with the trip and child details, and they will find a suitable flight for you.
- Finally, receive the ticket and fill out the minor’s form during check-in for the flight. Kindly pay $150 per head per Spirit Airlines Unaccompanied Minors Policy rules.
However, dial +1-860-374-7617 to skip the waiting time to book Unaccompanied Minors Service on Spirit Airlines.
When Does Spirit Airlines Not Welcome Unaccompanied Minors?
Guardians/ parents can’t book Spirit Airlines’ Unaccompanied Minors service for these flights for their kids as per the U.S.A. Deptt of Transport Guidelines.
Hence, you can’t book the following flights for minors flying independently:
- Connecting Flights (Domestic)
- Connecting Flights (International)
- Any other direct International flight
- Domestic flights are where there is a scheduled change of aircraft.
According to transportation department guidelines, kids below 4 years of age are also not allowed to fly alone with Spirit Airlines.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Spirit allow children to travel alone?
Yes, indeed. Kids aged 5 to 14 can fly alone after enrolling in the Unaccompanied Minors travel facility at Spirit Airlines. They can take independent journeys on direct flights. International routes are not open for minors flying alone.
Does spirit airlines have Unaccompanied minors policy?
Spirit Airlines has a dedicated policy that details the independent travels of minors between 5-14 years of age. For a fee, you can send your minor kid under some strict guidelines. You must assign a guardian to pick up the kid at the arrival airport.
Can a 17-year-old fly alone on spirit airlines?
Kids above 14 years of age do not need to take the unaccompanied minors facility. Surely, they can. They can fly like a regular adult. However, parents can still send their kids to this facility but must pay the required fee for this service at Spirit Airlines.
How old do you need to be to fly alone on Spirit Airlines?
It would be best if you were atleast 5 years old to fly alone on a Spirit Airlines plane. Kids more than 14 years of age can fly independently without being with an adult. However, they can also seek unaccompanied minor service for a fee.
Does Spirit airlines charge for unaccompanied minors?
For minors between 5-14 years who are flying alone, there is a fee of $150 per customer each way. Hence, if you’ve booked a round-trip for the kids, you must pay $300. Also, the facility is available only for direct flights operating on domestic routes, and there is no change of aircraft during the journey.
Can a 15 year old fly alone on spirit airlines?
Yes, indeed. Anyone above 14 can fly alone like a regular adult, and standard rules apply. However, if parents are concerned and wish for additional safety during travel, they can pay the unaccompanied Spirit minors fee, and specific rules will apply.