Is your child a minor and needs to travel alone with Spirit Airlines? Do you need expert guidance on booking Spirit Airlines flights for your unaccompanied child? Well, many airlines have policies that allow children to travel alone if they meet the specified conditions. As per the Spirit Airlines Unaccompanied Minors Policy, minor children are permitted to travel unaccompanied on direct domestic flights. However, the airline does not allow such passengers on international flights, connecting flights, or domestic flights, including a change of aircraft or a stopover. Further, when your children fly with Spirit Airlines alone, it ensures to take complete care of your child on board.
Now, if you are concerned about how your child will travel and what the conditions are for your child to travel alone, you can read on and find it out. If you allow your child to fly as unaccompanied minors spirit airlines will be entirely responsible for their safety and well-being.
Does spirit airlines allow unaccompanied minors?
Yes, as we already mentioned, Spirit Airlines allows unaccompanied minors to travel alone. The airline treats children under the age group 5-14 who are flying without an adult passenger over 15 years of age as unaccompanied minors. Many people still get concerned over the question, “Does spirit airlines allow unaccompanied minors?”
Let us explain this to you based on age groups.
Children under age group 0-4 years
Spirit Airlines never allows your child aged four years or below to travel alone with them. Therefore, even if you need them to fly, you must purchase Spirit airlines tickets only if they are accompanied by a passenger of at least age 15 years. The only reason is that such children are too young to be traveling alone on an aircraft.
Children under age group 5-14 years
If your child is under the age group 5-14, they can travel alone as long as they do not have any physical or mental condition. As per the unaccompanied minor policy for spirit airlines, they are allowed to fly without an accompanying passenger on the basic airline fare. Moreover, they will have a seat of their own and will also get snacks to keep them entertained on board.
Children over 15 years of age
If your child is over 15 years old, he doesn’t require anyone to accompany him and can travel alone freely. However, the airline asks you to provide a photo ID or birth certificate that verifies the age whenever needed. Besides, if you or any guardian requires that your children over 15 should get the unaccompanied minor service, you can request it in advance. And based on the Spirit Airlines Unaccompanied Minors Policy, they will make sure your child is taken good care of.
What are Spirit Airlines unaccompanied minor travel rules?
- When booking, please inform Spirit Airlines that the booking is for an unaccompanied minor.
- Please go to the ticket counter to check in at least 60 minutes before departure.
- When checking in, the sending parent/guardian must fill out an unaccompanied minor form at the airport and attach a photo ID before we can accept children for travel.
- The booking department will insert this form into the lanyard provided by Spirit Airlines. Unaccompanied minors must wear it during the entire flight. The employees at the airline’s boarding counter need this form to identify unaccompanied minors.
- The person sending the child to the airport should apply for a gate pass at the ticket counter, escort the child to the gate, and stay with the unaccompanied minor in the gate area until the flight takes off. The agent will give the gate pass for the boarding gate to non-traveling individuals who show a government-issued photo ID.
- After the plane takes off, as per the Spirit Airlines Unaccompanied Minors Policy, the person sending the children must stay at the boarding gate for 15 minutes.
- Further, your child can pre-board the flight, and the Flight attendant will identify him as an unaccompanied minor. Therefore, if your child arrives too late at the airport, he has to board at last for an introduction with the attendant.
- The pickup guardian coming to pick your child has to arrive at the airport before the flights arrive. This is because he may need a gate pass from the airport ticket counter to wait for your child’s arrival.
- The flight attendant will escort your child to the aircraft and only release it to the guardian or parent as specified on the form.
How much does Spirit Airlines charge for unaccompanied minors?
Spirit Airlines allows your unaccompanied child to travel with them on a service charge of 100 US Dollars. This is for a one-way flight only. The cost of snacks and drinks that they will get on board is also included in this amount. In the same way, if your child is on a roundtrip, the fare is 200 US dollars. Note that this charge is not the total fare. Besides, according to the unaccompanied minor policy for spirit airlines, the service fee is an additional amount on your flight ticket price that you must pay to book a flight for your unaccompanied minor.